Coding for solid state drives

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 25 09:38:57 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 25 April 2015 at 14:19:31 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> On Saturday, 25 April 2015 at 11:34:22 UTC, ketmar wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 01:27:15 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>>> if there are any
>>> modifications we should make to std.stdio to work better with
>>> SSDs?
>>> (Such as changing the buffer sizes.)
>>
>> yes: don't do anything. it's OS task to cope with that.
>
> well beyond the area I know, but it seems like given the
> relative structure of costs for random seeks for SSDs you often
> want to process files in parallel, whereas the opposite is true
> for spinning platters.  The OS can't help you here.

Well, actually, it should. In theory, all you need to do is to
queue as many reads/writes as you can - using threads, fibers,
async I/O calls, etc. This is not the same as sequentially
reading/writing random blocks. The OS I/O scheduler should
reorder the operations so that the accessed blocks are in order
and physically close to each other.