Interrogative: What's a good blog title?

Meta via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 27 17:32:02 PDT 2015

On Monday, 27 April 2015 at 22:54:07 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> I don't have a blog, and was thinking of starting one. E.g. the
> article on tracing allocations needs a home!
>
> I was wondering if you have any good ideas of what's a good
> blog name. I'd avoid branding my blog with my longish name, so
> I was thinking of something simple and easy to use in
> conversation (e.g. my current draft title at
> http://blog.erdani.com, the metareferential "You Are Reading
> This Blog's Title" is perhaps intriguing but difficult to talk
> about). Any thoughts?
>
> My only candidate right now is "Greasemonkey Philosopher". I'm
> shooting for a title that reflects the contrast between my
> low-level and high-level aspirations. Sadly enough,
> "greasemonkey" is a popular browser extension package, so it
> comes up in searches etc.
>
> Generally I'm looking for a phrase that's catchy but doesn't
> remind one of something else. Something contradictory, funny,
> etc.
>
> Please let me know of any thoughts you might have!
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

You could modify your original "Greasemonkey Philosopher" idea;
Two-Byte Philosopher. "Two-Byte" is a play on the expression
two-bit (cheap, low quality), suggesting self-deprecation and the
ability to relate to the common person's "low-level" problems,
AKA being down to earth. Two-byte also suggests working at the
byte level, which suggests low-level systems development. Just
from the title, without knowing that you are Andrei Alexandrescu,
someone will be able to discern:

1. This is a blog about programming
2. It encompasses both low-level and high-level programming
concepts (much like D)
3. It probably explores the philosophical side of programming,
but low-level (in the sense of everyday problems but possibly
also systems-level) concerns come first ("Two-Byte" comes before
"Philosopher")
3. The author does not take himself too seriously, which further
suggests that:
     a) The author is not an "architecture astronaut" with an
ivory tower,
        highly theoretical approach to programming that you need a
PhD to
        understand.
     b) The claim of being a "Philosopher" is probably in good
humour and not to
        be taken seriously. Although this blog could also include
various
        programming-oriented philosophical musings, the author can
be expected
        to be relatable and down to earth, also reinforcing
conclusion a.
     c) The author has an engaging, humorous writing style which
will make
        reading the blog enjoyable rather than a chore (I have
found this to be
        the case with your writing in TDPL)

Furthermore, a quick google search [1] doesn't turn up anything
that would conflict with this blog name.

1:
https://www.google.com/search?q=two-byte+philosopher&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8