Quit running foreign unittests >_<

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 28 09:40:03 PDT 2015

On Monday, 27 April 2015 at 11:30:04 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 4/27/15 6:20 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>>>
>>> This thread doesn't support that view, see the first post.
>>
>> Which part exactly? I only see comparisons for compiling AND
>> running
>> tests for dependencies. And it is usually running which causes
>> the
>> slowdown.
>
> The problem is as follows:
>
> 1. Unit tests for some library are written for that library.
> They are written to run tests during unit tests of that library
> only (possibly with certain requirements of environment,
> including build lines, or expectations of system resource
> availability).
> 2. People who import that library's modules are not trying to
> test the library, they are trying to test their code.

Those are two points I fundamentally disagree with. It doesn't
matter where the code comes from - in the end only thing that
matters is correctness of your application as a whole. And
considering tests are not necessarily pure the results may very
well differ between running those tests spearately and as part of
application test suite a whole. Unless compiling some specific
tests causes some proven _compilation_ slowdown (I have yet to
see that) those all must be compiled and filtered by runtime test
runner optionally.

And if tests are written in a weird way that they can only be ran
within that library test step, those are not really unittests.

Usage of version(MyLibTests) in Nick SDL library annoyed me so
much that I forked it to never deal with those pesky versions
again. Don't want to do that with Phobos too.