Range of chars (narrow string ranges)

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 28 16:12:52 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 09:57:29PM +0000, Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 April 2015 at 16:48:48 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> >But of course, we'd want to do the transition in a way that didn't
> >result in silent behavioral changes that would break code,
>
> One proposal is to make char and dchar comparisons illegal (after all,
> they are comparing different things - an UTF-8 code unit with a code
> point, and even though in some cases this comparison makes sense, in
> many it doesn't).  That would solve most silent breakages at the
> expense of more not-so-silent breakages.
>
> >And if we really wanted to do that, we could create a version flag
> >that turned of autodecoding and version the changes in Phobos
> >appropriately to see what we got.
>
> Shameless self-promotion alert: An alternative is a GitHub fork. You
> can easily install and try out D forks with Digger, it's two commands:
>
> digger build master+jmdavis/phobos/noautodecode
> digger install

Oooh, Jonathan has the code ready? Haha, maybe I'll start using that
instead of git master! ;-)

Arise, you prisoners of Windows / Arise, you slaves of Redmond, Wash, / The day and hour soon are coming / When all the IT folks say "Gosh!" / It isn't from a clever lawsuit / That Windowsland will finally fall, / But thousands writing open source code / Like mice who nibble through a wall. -- The Linux-nationale by Greg Baker