Spelling and phonetics (Was: The amazing template which does nothing)

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 29 03:09:38 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 29 April 2015 at 09:57:01 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 29 April 2015 at 09:44:27 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> Just follow your natural way of speaking and you'll be fine.
>> Read it out to yourself. And let's be honest, it sounds really
>> crap when you read "an UFCS", bahhh!
>
> Yes, well, the problem is that "an U" sounds completely fine in
> my head!
>
> The way you pronounce the U letter in the English alphabet is
> the same (not sure if identical) as the Russian letter Ю, which
> is considered a vowel in Russian.

In that case you'll just have to learn the rule: if it's a single
letter, it has to be `an`. Sorry, I didn't realize that /j/ is
treated as a vowel in Russian. I was thinking of languages I'm
familiar with, and there /j/ is always treated as a consonant. Is
the Russian sound a fricative or a pure vowel without any
friction (= obstruction)?