Building DMD on SmartOS

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 30 10:53:59 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 30 April 2015 at 17:39:02 UTC, flamencofantasy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to use D on SmartOS.
>
> Since there is no binary installer I tried to build DMD from
> source by
> following the instructions on this page;
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Building_DMD
>
> Unfortunately I get this error;
> [~/d/dmd/src]# make -f posix.mak MODEL=64
>
> no cpu specified, assuming X86
> dmd idgen.d
> make: dmd: Command not found
> posix.mak:320: recipe for target 'idgen' failed
> make: *** [idgen] Error 127

dmd git HEAD requires a host D compiler to build dmd because it's
moving files from C++ to D, ie the compiler is becoming
self-hosted.  This is a problem for new platforms like SmartOS,
as dmd doesn't really support cross-compiling yet.  However, you
can roll back to the last release branch, 2.067, and try
compiling that on SmartOS with just a C++ compiler.  Of course,
the Solaris support in dmd/druntime/phobos is not really tested,
so you may need to fill in some gaps for SmartOS.