Wiki article: Starting as a Contributor

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 3 22:35:03 PDT 2015

> I had to set up dmd and friends on a fresh Ubuntu box, so I thought I'd
> document the step-by-step process:
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Starting_as_a_Contributor
>
> Along the way I also hit a small snag and fixed it at
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/1049
>
> Further improvements are welcome.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

I am trying this now. I've already hit a problem. The wiki makes it
sound like the bootstrapping is optional. As I already have dmd 2.067, I
skipped that stepped and failed when making druntime as it apparently
assumes the bootstrapped dmd:

[druntime]$ make -f posix.mak
../dmd/src/dmd -conf= -c -o- -Isrc -Iimport
-Hfimport/core/sync/barrier.di src/core/sync/barrier.d
make: ../dmd/src/dmd: Command not found
make: *** [import/core/sync/barrier.di] Error 127

A symbolic link to dmd 2.067 failed because it does not know about
pragma(inline). Fine...

Bootstrapping now... :)

Ali