DUB RC 0.9.24-rc.1 ready for testing

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 4 08:52:09 PDT 2015

On 14/07/2015 00:09, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
> If everything goes as planned, the 0.9.24 release will be the last one
> before 1.0.0. The two major additions over 0.9.23 are the support for
> SDLang based package descriptions [1] [2] and an extended support for
> "dub describe" and build command environment variable support. See the
> change log for more details.

I've now given this a try with the goal to integrated with DDT. I was
still using 0.9.21 as the baseline.

DUB 0.9.24 might be required for the next DDT version though, because of
the build target information added to DUB describe: I'm working on build
target support in DDT. Originally I was thinking of parsing the JSON
myself for that bit of info (this is already done to a limited extent
for source folders if DUB is not present). However if people are going
to start using SDL package format, not gonna work... -_-

`dub describe` it is. The only problem is that this is still giving me
some grievances:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dub/issues/580
It was mostly on DDT tests, so it's not a deal-breaker. On the IDE
itself there is the minor issue that to get build configurations
information, `dub describe` has to run successfully, thus performing
full DUB dependency information even though it's not necessary.

BTW --bare is indeed welcome as I have to do some juggling to run
several tests with code that integrates with DUB. But --bare is still
very limited: you cant run `dub describe` on a directory of a DUB
package. You have to run on the parent directory, which means you need
to figure out the actual name of the DUB package (merely specifying the
directory doesn't work). A bit of an annoyance.
Why not simply have an option to specify the directory of the DUB local
registry (the one with the local-packages.json file)? Such an option
might have other uses as well, even beyond `dub describe`. This registry
singleton shouldn't be hardcoded to just a default location.

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros