D for project in computational chemistry

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 4 12:36:44 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 4 August 2015 at 18:56:20 UTC, jmh530 wrote:

> I don't think I had seen an example like this before (though it
> is obvious in retrospect). Is there any advantage in terms of
> performance?

The big win is in terms of being able to write complicated,
correct code easily. However, there was a recent thread on the
topic:
http://forum.dlang.org/post/mailman.4829.1434623275.7663.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com

Walter said, "I expect that at the moment, range+algorithms code
will likely be somewhat slower than old fashioned loops. This is
because code generators have been tuned for decades to do a great
job with loops.

There's no intrinsic reason why ranges must do worse, so I expect
they'll achieve parity.

Ranges can move ahead because they can reduce the algorithmic
complexity, whereas user written loops tend to be suboptimal."