D for project in computational chemistry

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 4 13:37:17 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 4 August 2015 at 19:40:30 UTC, jmh530 wrote:

> Wrt static typing, I don't think the issue is about catching
> bugs in Matlab. I just haven't had much an issue with mixing up
> types in Matlab. I can see the arguments about static typing
> and ahead of time compilation for performance, but that's less
> important for prototyping. One good thing about dynamic typing
> is that it allows for easier manipulation of matrices.

For me, the big win in prototyping comes from the ability to
easily make significant changes to my program. With D, I am able
to give the compiler a bunch of information about the types of
data I'm working with, and the compiler handles all the details
for me, better than a good research assistant. If I change the
function to take different input or return different output, I
don't have to look through 500 lines of code to make sure I'm
keeping everything consistent.

A couple of things that might make D more pleasant for me are:
- I do a lot of simulation-related things, where the inputs and
outputs can change a lot as I figure out how I want to do things,
and
- I use R. R was invented down the hall from C, and AFAICT, the C
and R guys were believers that silent casting and undefined
behavior are the foundation of a good programming language.