Rant after trying Rust a bit

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 4 13:46:58 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 25 July 2015 at 08:58:26 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> I would have had a LOT more trouble shipping the Warp project
> if I hadn't gone with 100% coverage from the ground up. Nearly
> all the bugs it had in the field were due to my
> misunderstandings of the peculiarities of gpp - the code had
> worked as I designed it.
>
> This is a huge reason why I want to switch to ddmd. I want to
> improve the quality of the compiler with unit tests. The
> various unit tests schemes I've tried for C++ are all ugly,
> inconvenient, and simply a bitch. It's like trying to use a
> slide rule after you've been given a calculator.

LOL. I finally got some bugs sorted out on the project that I'm
working on at work (in C++), which means that I can get back to
what I was working on implementing before, and about all I recall
for sure is that I was working on the unit tests for it. I don't
know where I was with them. I find myself wishing that I had -cov
so that I could figure out what I had left to test... :(

It often seems like the advantages of some of D's features are
more obvious when you have to go back to another language like
C++ which doesn't have them.

- Jonathan M Davis