Rant after trying Rust a bit

Max Samukha via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 5 10:12:27 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 5 August 2015 at 15:58:28 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:

>> The point is that '+' for string concatenation is no more of
>> an 'idiot
>> thing' than '~'.
>
> My point is that it is. String concatenation is not commutative.

Ok, good point. Except that '+' in a programming language is not
the mathematical '+'. Why define '+' as strictly commutative
operation and not more generally as an abstract binary operation,
considering the middle dot is unavailable? Or, if we want to
stick to the math notation, then '*' would be more appropriate
than the idiot thing '~'.