D for project in computational chemistry

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 5 11:20:18 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 5 August 2015 at 17:47:49 UTC, Yura wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Thank you for your replies. I am now really convinced that D is
> a decent choice for my project (also I am really happy to see
> that the forum is really active and apparently many of you use
> D for your scientific projects). I am just looking forward to
> writing the code. I had a very quick look at lecture given at
> DConf 2015 - good talk, and I believe D has a big promise in
> Science. Perhaps the only problem being is the mathematical
> library, like numpy.
>
> Until now I usually wrote the prototype algorithms in Python
> and then translated the code onto C for speed. It would be just
> dream to use only one language. The dominant languages in
> science now for production codes are Fortran or C/C++, may be D
> could become another option?
>
> With kind regards,
> Yury

I think NumPy was written in C(++) and is imported as a Python
module. So if you can get your hands on the original underlying
C(++) library, you can call NumPy directly from D, can't you? In
case you do this, let me know how you fared with it. NumPy is
usually the deadbeat argument when people have to choose between
Python or other languages.