D for project in computational chemistry

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 5 11:49:20 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 5 August 2015 at 17:47:49 UTC, Yura wrote:

> The dominant languages in science now for production codes are
> Fortran or C/C++, may be D could become another option?
>
> With kind regards,
> Yury

Yes. The question is whether we can put together a group of
developers to build the infrastructure, which is a lot more than
just code. That means, in particular, good documentation and
using it for our own projects.

Everyone these days talks about how Python is a powerhouse
scientific programming language. A decade ago it was crap. I
know, because I watched it for years wishing I could use it.
There were some poorly documented, domain-specific,
hacked-together libraries, but Python was not for the most part a
suitable choice.

There is no reason we can't do the same for D. The main question
is whether we are sufficiently committed to that goal. Others may
consider Python, Julia, and Matlab to be good enough alternatives
(I don't, but not everyone necessarily agrees with me).