D for project in computational chemistry

Gerald Jansen via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 6 01:11:47 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 5 August 2015 at 18:49:21 UTC, bachmeier wrote:

> Yes. The question is whether we can put together a group of
> developers to build the infrastructure, which is a lot more
> than just code. That means, in particular, good documentation
> and using it for our own projects.

Right on! I would be willing to help with documentation if there
were a concerted effort in this direction. There have been a
number of failed individual efforts over the years. So how can a
group effort be promoted?

Is the Dscience github project an adequate platform? How can
other people get involved? Is a dedicated discussion group
needed? Can we develop a plan of some sort rather than just a
scatter of individual efforts?

> Everyone these days talks about how Python is a powerhouse
> scientific programming language. A decade ago it was crap. I
> know, because I watched it for years wishing I could use it.
> There were some poorly documented, domain-specific,
> hacked-together libraries, but Python was not for the most part
> a suitable choice.

I started with Python in the years of the Numeric+numarray->NumPy
transition. It was messy. Personally I think a unified library
like NumPy, to underpin other more specialized libraries, is of
paramount importance to any success of D in science.

Ideally there would be a NumPy/ndarray usage-compatible module in
D. That would make D much more attractive to potential Python
converts and lower the entry barrier considerably.