DUB RC 0.9.24-rc.1 ready for testing

yawniek via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 6 03:28:57 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 at 13:17:36 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

> At the first D meetup in the Silicon Valley, Vic (an
> accomplished entrepreneur who has been following up D'd path)
> discussed some ideas for improving D's adoption. He mentioned
> some other languages have improved adoption by means of a
> strong application (e.g. Rails for Ruby) and suggested we make
> vibe.d, which is one of D's most compelling publicly available
> applications, more prominent among D's toolchain. He mentioned
> that many folks start with the high-level need ("I need a web
> framework") and accept the language as an artifact.

great point, i was one of these people.
my requirements where simple:
- needs to be ultrafast
- needs to produce binary
- bonus: nice language, many libraries.
in the end it was GO (many libs, shitty lang) vs. D (not so many
libs, great lang,faster)

but i don't think bundling vibe will help.
bundling dub will be enough. you just do dub init -t vibe.d and
you're set.
plus you will hopefully have the latest stable version
automatically.

imho the following stuff is missing/could be done to lower the
barrier of entry
(some have been mentioned already):

general language:
- join the forums. create a place to discuss vibe that has some
traffic already.
- ability to add code snippets/comments to the documentation
(this was php's way to success back in the days). A risky
strategy because of the trash,but maybe worth thinking about

vibe:
- a cool example project (e.g. a clone of hackernews similar to
lobste.rs. )
- include/document (postgres)sql database access (ddb?)

nice to haves:
- plugin system with generators e.g. for Users, Authorization etc.
- some live compile/reload loop for development (via shared libs?)
- same for release. how do i deploy a new version without loosing
requests (as for me, i currently just use nginx)