Rant after trying Rust a bit

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 6 09:07:21 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 6 August 2015 at 14:14:30 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> Wow. The only way that I'd know how to get those characters
> would be to copy-paste them from somewhere. I'm sure that
> there's a far easier way to generate them, but if a symbol
> isn't actually on my keyboard, I wouldn't have a clue how to
> type it, and I would have thought that support for typing it
> would be editor-specific. In general, I would have expected it
> to be a total disaster if a language used any non-ASCII
> characters in its syntax.

I think it is a big advantage if the default editor and syntax is
developed in tandem, it can enable less cluttered syntax and a
better editing experience. Some syntaxes can improve a lot by
having sensible colouring/visual layout.

On many non-US keyboards the C-language syntax-characters are put
in annoying positions too.

To get braces "{}" I have to type: alt-shift-8 alt-shift-9.

To get "<=" I have to type: < shift-0

To get "≤" I type: alt-<