D for Game Development

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 6 22:08:26 PDT 2015

On 7/08/2015 10:48 a.m., Tofu Ninja wrote:
> On Thursday, 6 August 2015 at 06:30:06 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
>> Here is what we need to do going forward (beyond what me and Manu are
>> doing):
>>
>> 1. Derelict-Util needs to be put into Phobos. This is not optional
>> 2. Derelict-GL3 needs to be put into Phobos. Optional, but might be a
>> damn good idea!
>> 3. Windows API needs to be moved into either Phobos or druntime. Not
>> optional.
>> 4. X11 bindings added to Phobos. Not optional.
>> 5. Cocoa bindings added to Phobos. Not optional.
>>
>> This all needs to happen _before_ we start working on a window library
>> for Phobos.
>> Let alone a GUI.
>>
>> We're mostly got problems with Cocoa. X11 bindings just need to be
>> changed to dynamically bound.
>>
>> Windows API bindings if gone into druntime wouldn't need to go through
>> the review cycle luckily. But would need some decent review on e.g.
>> Github.
>
> I really feel like D needs to get over it's "not invented here"
> syndrome, a much easier path would to just use a pre existing cross
> platform windowing library. Its laughable that the people in D want to
> reinvent this stuff. It's been done, just use the already working
> version! Why have all this great c and c++ interop if we never use it.
>
> I have the same gripe with how the experimental.image is doing image
> that already support every image format you could ever dream of. Just
> use them, they will work 1000x better than any reinvention that we do here.

Ok, here is what I'm willing to do.
If you are willing to get Derelict-Util into Phobos and create the
bindings for what ever (appropriate) c-library. I'm willing to create
the wrappers around it to make it work with the interfaces.

My intention was these to become third party libraries via dub.

Please understand that I want a reasonable experience out of the box and
not have the same situation we currently have with zlib/curl. Which
means we do need 1 or 2 image file format implementations and per
platform a single window/context implementation. It doesn't have to be
flash or highly customizable. But it does need to work for most people.