D for Game Development

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 7 07:12:34 PDT 2015

On 8/08/2015 1:07 a.m., rsw0x wrote:
> On Friday, 7 August 2015 at 12:55:23 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 8/6/15 6:48 PM, Tofu Ninja wrote:
>>> I really feel like D needs to get over it's "not invented here"
>>> syndrome, a much easier path would to just use a pre existing cross
>>> platform windowing library.
>>
>> I agree (though I don't know much about which library would be the
>> best choice), at least on the basis of scarce resources. Large
>> ambitious projects are a lot more fun to start than complete. -- Andrei
>
> Bare windowing libraries that are well tested already exist, like GLFW.

To be fare, the most difficult part about a windowing library, is to
make it behave identically on all platforms.
For a Phobos out of the box implementation, we only need to get it close
enough that programs can use it for prototyping.

For anything serious, something like GLFW is definitely a better option.
As long as we keep it well known about this and a migration path that
isn't at all hard, I see no problem with doing this.