D for Game Development

jmh530 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 7 13:24:52 PDT 2015

On Friday, 7 August 2015 at 17:40:16 UTC, deadalnix wrote:

> The problem is that we get caught up with the API.
>
> The way forward that makes the most sense IMO, is to design
> some nice API and use whatever already exists behind. Less
> work, without the lock in.

I wouldn't think what you're saying is controversial...just a lot
of work to do well.

I imagine what you're saying as a two-step process: 1) Get a
library working with D, 2) Write a "nice API". I would likely get
stuck on the first one before even getting to the second, but I
wouldn't want to bore you with how confusing I find the
documentation on interfacing to C.

Anyway, I was thinking that magicport seems to be very important
the process of creating ddmd. I would think we should be able to
leverage this work for interfacing with C. In particular,
interfacing with C requires the transformation of .h files to .di
files. My assumption is that magicport is capable of converting
lots of C++ files to D files, although my recollection of Daniel
Murphy's talk is that there are some cases where it does not work
perfectly and he has to adjust things manually. Regardless, if it
works for C++, it should work for C, maybe even better since C is
less complicated. So maybe magicport can be used to make it
easier to get C libraries working with D. Then, you would just
need to focus on writing the APIs.