D for Game Development

Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 9 02:07:18 PDT 2015

Am Sun, 9 Aug 2015 00:32:00 -0700
schrieb Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>:

> On 8/8/2015 11:36 PM, Tofu Ninja wrote:
> > On Sunday, 9 August 2015 at 05:18:33 UTC, rsw0x wrote:
> >> dmd not being deprecated continues the cycle of gdc/ldc lagging
> >> versions behind and being understaffed in manpower.
> >
> > I think another point to look at is how far gdc and ldc have come
> > while still having so few people working on them. Clearly they are
> > able to get more done faster because they can leverage the work of
> > the llvm and gcc devs. Seems silly that the majority of our talent
> > is focused on dmd when it is the slowest of the bunch. D's "not
> > made here" syndrome strikes again!
>
> There's pretty much no talent focused on the dmd back end. I do most
> of the (very) occasional bug fixes, and sometimes Martin or Daniel
> correct something, and that's about it.
>
> The idea that it is sucking up resources is incorrect.

The DMD devs aren't working on the backend, but the GDC and LDC are
neither ;-) He's talking about the glue layer.

DMD has the advantage that whenever a frontend pull request requires
glue layer changes you get at and once by the contributor. But for
LDC and GDC the glue layer changes have to be implemented by GDC/LDC
devs.