D fund

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 10 16:55:33 PDT 2015

Something I've been pondering for some time that could
materialize a lot faster than the D foundation would be something
like a kickstarter for me personally.

If I could raise about $15,000 in the short term - a large sum of
money, I admit - I could take a three month break from my day job
and focus on D things; likely my own libraries (i'd like to
finish the minigui and simple game bits especially) as well as
documentation things, but maybe some bug fixes and perhaps
phobos/druntime bits too if there's enough demand.

I actually have a bit of an urge to write D documentation and
tutorials, but that's actually even more time consuming than
code, and less beneficial to me personally! (i already know the
stuff i'd be documenting so it doesn't directly benefit me,
whereas the code is something I can at least use myself)

Three months isn't enough to change the D world, but with the day
job on hold, it would be enough time to realistically achieve
some useful, if modest, goals, like finishing some small
libraries or a tutorial set.

But I'm also hesitant to do it for a few reasons, chief among
them being that it would take a large sum to actually warrant
taking time off work... and without time off work, I don't really
have the time to do this, and secondly that I would prefer to do
the code my way still.

however, would any of you be interested in that kind of thing?