D for Game Development

kink via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 12 06:32:09 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 11 August 2015 at 00:56:57 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On 11 August 2015 at 01:15, jmh530 via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> One big positive for DMD is that it is very easy to install on
>> Windows. Just about anyone can get up and running quite
>> easily. It doesn't require the installation of MSVC (which I
>> can't stand) or Min-GW at all. If DMD and LDC are sort of
>> merged in the way that you say, I just hope care is taken to
>> ensure that it is easy for people to get started with it.
>
> I think some care would be taken to bundle the distribution so
> it's both minimal and convenient for users to install and get
> started with.

Afaik DMD for Win64 requires the MS linker, so good luck without
Visual Studio then. Same goes for LDC on Win64, although an LLVM
COFF linker is under development. Serious system programming on
Windows without MSVC and its C runtime? Not really an option;
MinGW appears to be a dead end and never really fitted the
Windows eco-system.