DIP81: Writing files at compile time

JDemler via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 12 13:21:03 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 12 August 2015 at 19:12:53 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 12 August 2015 at 18:57:05 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe
> wrote:
>> I've been looking at a company's build system recently and it
>> makes me think this is a bad idea: we have enough problems
>> tracking import dependencies and changes as it is without
>> other files being written in the middle of the process too.
>
> Yes, you cannot use the file system for this. You could make it
> work by having a central write-once key-value database, then
> block all imports from non-existing keys until they become
> available. And error out if either keys never materialize or if
> a key is written twice.

I see your point. But not using the file system would imply that
the debugging and transparency advantages would not work.

Maybe a combination of both could work? A central database that
tracks which files have been generated and which have not, but
the imported code still lies on the file system.
Although that seems overly complex and would imply a
differantiation in the import syntax between generated and non
generated files.