DIP81: Writing files at compile time

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 13 01:19:13 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 13 August 2015 at 00:54:37 UTC, JDemler wrote:
> I am not sure if I understand your idea correctly:
> The compiler would in case of an export(name, content) write
> the content both to a internal database and the filesystem and
> then only use the internal one?
> Or could the content of the internal database be copied to the
> file system at the end of the compilation process? Or is only
> the output bundle written to the file system?

The filesystem is a compiler issue and not a language issue, so
sure, the compiler could do whatever it wants, flush everything
to disk or into a SQL database or…

Keep in mind that someone might want to compile on a diskless
computer from an in-memory zip-file or similar.

I think the important file generation that are relevant to the
language would be for the output bundle, so that you e.g. can
have a config file in D and generate platform specific files
(.ini, .xml etc).