new release doesn't work as advertised

kinke via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 13 11:32:30 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 13 August 2015 at 17:56:06 UTC, tcak wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 August 2015 at 16:44:09 UTC, David Nadlinger
> wrote:
>> On Thursday, 13 August 2015 at 16:30:59 UTC, learn wrote:

>>> thank you for your answer and suggestion, but it is not
>>> possible for me to uninstall vs 2015 because of D alone.
>>
>> You can install VS 2013 alongside VS 2015 just fine.
>>
>>  — David
>
> I think, first of all, the reason why it doesn't compile with
> VS 2015 should be explained. By leaving the reason, and saying
> to just install VS 2013 is too ignorant for this community.
>
> What is the problem about VS 2015? and how can it be solved?

First of all, the RTM has been released about 3 weeks ago, so how
come you expect an entirely community-driven compiler to support
it within such a short time frame? Especially as Win64 is not
considered a primary target.
Secondly, there's been breaking changes in the C runtime, as MS
finally almost caught up with all other C runtimes in terms of
C99 standard conformance. So D's druntime layer on top of the C
runtime is being adapted. LDC is already compatible with VS 2015
(http://forum.dlang.org/thread/sgdyguqpuydnkwtmnyar@forum.dlang.org) and the next release will greatly improve its Win64 support.
And then there's VisualD apparently missing to detect VS 2015.

I know that CTPs have been out for quite some time, I've used one
for quite some time myself. But the Windows faction in this
community isn't strong, the DMD CI slaves use VS 2010, LDC only
has CI tests on Linux etc.

@learn:
> if you guys want to be with VS by MS you should have the
> complete headers and working releases or ABANON the voting at
> MS.

Wow, what arrogance. Nothing prevents MS from taking their first
steps towards D, why must we do it all ourselves in our spare
time for a proprietary and commercial OS?