RFC: dispatchToMember 2, electric boogaloo

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 14 08:03:12 PDT 2015

On 8/14/15 10:38 AM, Meta wrote:
> I also plan to detect whether the symbol being forwarded to is a
> function or a field, and generate an @property wrapper as appropriate,
> which shouldn't be too hard.

Great.

> What *will* be difficult, though, is
> controlling which overloads are forwarded to. Currently dispatchToMember
> just picks the first function that matches the name given. What did you
> have in mind for choosing overloads? I've thought about maybe having a
> small DSL that allows for choosing overloads, but that could be
> complicated and not worth the complexity.

That's a toughie. Perhaps you don't support overloads in the first
iteration. The best solution would be to define the same overloads in
the client as they are in the member. That's technically very different
from what you have now.

Closer to the current approach would be to define the template, and
inside redo the overloading rules (hard). An easier/imperfect solution
would be to just issue an error when two parameter sets fit.

Andrei