Nested public imports - bug or feature?

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 15 09:15:55 PDT 2015

On Friday, 14 August 2015 at 20:12:43 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 08/14/2015 08:57 PM, Dicebot wrote:
>> Ok, let's stop for a minute and make sure we are on the same
>> thread
>> here. Because you seem to argue something I have never said or
>> at least
>> intended to say.
>
> OK. This is my view: The sub-thread was started with the claim
> that the module system is "completely broken" in a particular
> way. You gave Rust's system as an alternative, but it is
> (basically) the same thing with slightly different syntax.

I called it broken because it makes impossible to add new symbols
to the library without possibly breaking user code. Same scenario
in Rust is much less likely - comparing default import semantics,
of course. And idioms don't matter because only very few use
them, thus I only consider default import behaviour when making
such statement.

Still disagree?

>> Does that make sense?
>
> Not really. It is up to the programmer which of the idioms to
> use by default, and all options exist in both languages.
>
> It's not that important, I guess.

Won't try to convince anyone about good style and stuff. All I
need is some confirmation that presented nested import semantics
will stay :( Will try poking Walter personally.