Visual Studio Code

bitwise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 16 18:12:27 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 16 August 2015 at 05:12:06 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Saturday, 15 August 2015 at 18:04:20 UTC, bitwise wrote:
>> Just a side note, looking at the main page of dlang.org, I
>> don't see  any reference to who's using/contributing to D, or
>> a link thereto.
>>
>> I think it would help a lot of the logos of the D language's
>> top sponsors could be seen somewhere on the main page. Maybe
>> along the bottom as "Proud D users" or something. The top ~10
>> sponsors could be chosen based of the dollar amounts or man
>> hours contributed.
>>
>> C++ has "Gold members" on their about page:
>> https://isocpp.org/about
>>
>> Rust has a "Team" page:
>> https://www.rust-lang.org/team.html
>>
>> Python has success stories:
>> https://www.python.org/about/success/
>>
>> I could probably find more, but suffice it to say, it's a
>> common occurrence.
>
> Heh, funny you mention this, as I have a tab open in my browser
> open to the dlang.org github to remind me to submit a PR for
> just such an "about" page.  However, those examples are not
> that great for D, as it has no foundation or levels of
> sponsorship like C++, no formal teams like Rust, and that
> python page is actually not very good, though certainly long.

At the very least, the logos of Facebook and Sociomantic could be
displayed at the bottom of the page. I'm not sure who else would
be included, but I don't think Walter and Andrei would have any
trouble coming up with a decent size list. The point is, I
believe there should be "proof at a glance" that D is doing well
in several real world scenarios.

> I was thinking a page to briefly recap the language's genesis,
> introduce the two BDFLs, and mention corporate and project
> successes, along with some quotes from prominent users.

I believe there is a place for this information, but my specific
recommendation is to present meaningful proof of D's usefulness
to potential users as soon and succinctly as possible.

> Feel free to submit a PR with what you have in mind and we
> could write it together:

> Whether it would ever actually be merged is a different
> question. ;)

Unfortunately, I am a little out of the loop with respect to who
exactly is using D, but if Walter or Andrei agreed with this
idea, doing the actual work would be trivial.

Anyways, not making demands here, just my 2 cents :)

     Bit