dmd codegen improvements

rsw0x via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 18 14:45:40 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 18 August 2015 at 21:36:39 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/18/2015 2:26 PM, rsw0x wrote:
>> if you want to make D fast - Fix the interface between the
>> compiler and the
>> runtime(including the inability for compilers to inline simple
>> things like
>> allocations which makes allocations have massive overheads.)
>> Then, fix the GC.
>> Make the GC both shared and immutable aware, then moving the
>> GC to a thread
>> local "island"-style GC would be fairly easy.
>
> The fundamental issue of island GCs is what to do with casting
> of data from one island to another.

If you want D to have a GC, you have to design the language
around having a GC. Right now, D could be likened to using C++
with Boehm. Something needs done with shared to fix this problem,
but everything I could suggest would probably be deemed entirely
too big of a change(e.g, making casting to/from shared undefined,
and putting methods in the GC API to explicitly move memory
between heaps)

>> Maybe you should take a look at what Go has recently done with
>> their GC to get
>> an idea of what D's competition has been up to.
>> https://talks.golang.org/2015/go-gc.pdf
>
> "you"? There's a whole community here, we're all in this
> together. Pull requests are welcome.

How many people here do you think know the intricacies of dmd as
well as you do? At most, a handful and I'm certainly not one of
those people.