Where will D sit in the web service space?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 18 14:47:32 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 18 August 2015 at 20:27:53 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Although I haven't used typescript specifically, any time I
> have used a source translation tool (ex, Haxe), I frequently
> wind up (for various reasons) needing to deal with both the
> input and generates languages, flip between the two, etc.
>
> I nearly never need to do that with a bytecode/machinecode
> based language.

Typescript is a mix of ECMAScript 5 and 6 with typing, that helps
with catching mistakes when editing and also gives you better
code completion (when using WebStorm at least). So the code is
quite similar, except you get automatic binding of the "this"
reference variable when you use closure syntax for functions.

So the semantics are close and you get to see TypeScript in the
browser-debugger if you use source maps (that map line numbers
between source files).

You basically get structural typing of most of the Javascript
functions and Object types that exists in the browser at compile
time (but not at runtime).