dmd codegen improvements

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 18 15:14:52 PDT 2015

On 8/18/2015 3:04 PM, deadalnix wrote:
> My understanding is that the inliner is in the front end. This definitively do
> not work the way I describe it here.

But it uses a cost function and runs repeatedly until there is no more inlining
to be done.

> It stand for 'scalar replacement of aggregate' aka SROA (not SRAO).
> You can find literature on the subject.

I'm aware of the technique, though I didn't know the name for it (I always
called it "horizontal slicing of aggregates"). It is one optimization that dmd
could significantly benefit from, and wouldn't be too hard to implement. The
ubiquitous use of ranges makes it a much more important optimization.

I suspect it would net much more than 0.5%.