dmd codegen improvements

Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 19 02:29:10 PDT 2015

On 19-Aug-2015 12:26, "Ola Fosheim =?UTF-8?B?R3LDuHN0YWQi?=
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
>> And there is plenty of research papers on optimization floating around
>> and implemented in GCC/LLVM/MSVC so most of R&D cost is payed by other
>> backends/researchers.
>
> I think you underestimate the amount of experimental work that has gone
> into those backends, work that ends up being trashed. It's not like you
> have to implement what LLVM has now. You have to implement what LLVM has
> and a lot of the stuff they have thrown out.

I do not. I underestime the benefits of tons of subtle passes that play
into 0.1-0.2% in some cases. There are lots and lots of this in
GCC/LLVM. If having the best code generated out there is not the goal we
can safely omit most of these focusing on the most critical bits.

--
Dmitry Olshansky