dmd codegen improvements

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 19 04:16:23 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 19 August 2015 at 10:50:24 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> Well… I can't argue with what you find interesting. Memory
> throughput and pipeline bubbles are the key bottlenecks these
> days.

And just to stress this point: if you code is spending 50% of the
time waiting for memory and your code is 25% slower than the
competitor, then it might actually be 50% slower than the
competitor for code that is memory optimal.

So it's not like you just have to make your code a little bit
faster, you have to make it twice as fast.

The only way to go past that is to have a very intelligent
optimizer that can remove memory bottle necks and then you need
the much more advanced cache/SIMD-oriented optimizer and probably
also change the language semantics so that memory layout can be
reordered.