Google==Go, Mozilla==Rust, Facebook==D

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 19 17:12:22 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 19 August 2015 at 23:59:54 UTC, Bill Baxter wrote:
> Or at least that's the impression one might get from reading
> this Wired
> article:
> http://www.wired.com/2015/08/googles-house-programming-language-now-runs-phones/?mbid=social_gplus
>
> """
> [Go] is at the forefront of a new breed of languages that can
> rapidly
> execute code across a large number of systems, while still
> allowing large
> teams of coders to build this code at speed. This also includes
> languages
> such D, used at Facebook, and Rust, developed at Mozilla, the
> organization
> behind the Firefox web browser.
> """
>
> --bb

It was very interesting to hear the comments from the CEO of Weka
(Israeli storage startup) - they have stuff they want to share,
but not so much time to do it themselves.  So they were appealing
for a competent D freelancer to help on a paid basis to do so.  I
wonder if they have filled this need - if not, should it not be
on the D recruiting site?

More generally, I think there is benefit to creating different
channels for different use domains on the main web site.  The
kinds of problems you have in similar domains tend to recur (if
they truly are similar domains), but the answers are fragmented
and not to be found in one's place.

John Colvin made an excellent point about using D for science
(it's not a question of unshiny marketing that can be polished,
but of no marketing).  His point applies more generally:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=dlang+game+programming
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=dlang+bioinformatics
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=dlang+financial+data

Journalists have a difficult job to do, and if one has a message
to communicate, it's always helpful to make it easy for them.
[That also means having a set of contacts for different domains
that they can contact for quotes, background briefing and so on].

We could do better here, I think.  Colvin's work is a start.  Who
else will step up?  I am doing what I can in my small way, which
isn't much for now, but might be a lot in a few years.

Laeeth.