[OT] Sharp Regrets: Top 10 Worst C# Features

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 20 09:41:05 PDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 04:22:20PM +0000, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> I really don't mind NaN. It really doesn't cause problems normally.
> The problem with floating point values is floating point values
> themselves.  They're so painfully inexact. Even without NaN, you can't
> use == with them and expect it to work. Compared to that, how NaN is
> dealt with is a total non-issue. Floating points themselves just plain
> suck. They're sometimes necessary, but they suck.
[...]

But how would you work around the inherent inexactness? In spite of all
its warts, IEEE floating point is at least a usable compromise between
not having any representation for reals at all, and having exact reals
that are impractically slow in real-world applications.

I am a consultant. My job is to make your job redundant. -- Mr Tom