dmd codegen improvements

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 21 03:11:49 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 19 August 2015 at 17:25:13 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> Apple is invested in LLVM. For other thing you mention,
> WebAssembly is an AST representation, which is both dumb and do
> not look like anything like LLVM IR.

For the time being asm.js is a starting point. Nobody knows what
WebAssembly will look like, but if emscripten is anything to go
buy it will most likely pay off being in the LLVM eco system.

>> Replicating a scalar SSA like LLVM does not make a lot of
>> sense. What would make a lot of sense would be to start work

> WAT ?

When simplifying over scalars you make a trade off. By having a
simplifier that is optimized for keeping everything in vector
units you can get better results for some code sections.

>> Or a high level compile-time oriented IR for D that can boost
>> templates semantics and compilation speed.
>>

> That's impossible in the state of template right now (I know
> I've been there and dropped it as the return on investement was
> too low).

What is it about D template mechanics that make JITing difficult?