Object.factory() and exe file size bloat

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 21 04:35:00 PDT 2015

On 8/21/15 7:22 AM, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Where removing RTTI disables D feature's in a compromising way, I'd
> start by questioning the why.
>
> Eg:  Why does array literals need RTTI?  Looking at _d_arrayliteralTX
> implementation, it only does the following with the given TypeInfo provided:
>
> - Get the array element size (this is known at compile time)
> - Get the array element type flags (calculated during the codegen stage,
> but otherwise known at compile time)
> - Test if the TypeInfo is derived from TypeInfo_Shared (can be done at -
> you guessed it - compile time by peeking through the baseClass linked
> list for a given TypeInfo type we are passing).
>
> So we have this function that accepts a TypeInfo, but doesn't really
> *need* to at all.
>
> void* _d_arrayliteralTX(size_t length, size_t sizeelem, uint flags, bool
> isshared);
>
> Just putting it out there....

I strongly suggest we *don't* go this route. This means that any changes
to what is required for the runtime to properly construct an array
requires a compiler change.

A MUCH better solution:

T[] _d_arrayliteral(T)(size_t length)

Also, isn't the typeinfo now stored by the GC so it can call the dtor?
Perhaps that is done in the filling of the array literal, but I would be
surprised as this is a GC feature.

-Steve