std.data.json formal review

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 21 13:11:04 PDT 2015

> On 8/21/15 2:50 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 02:21:06PM -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:

>>> By "it" there I mean "the brake" :o). -- Andrei
>>
>> Wait, wait. So you're saying the GC is a brake, and we should remove the
>> brake, and therefore we should remove the GC?  This is ... wow. I'm
>> speechless here.
>
> Nothing new here. We want to make it a pleasant experience to use D
> without a garbage collector. -- Andrei

Allow me to (possibly) clarify.

What Andrei is saying is that you should be able to use D and phobos
*without* the GC, not that we should remove the GC.

e.g. what Walter was talking about at dconf2015 that instead of
converting an integer to a GC-allocated string, you return a range that
does the same thing but doesn't allocate.

-Steve