Object.factory() and exe file size bloat

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 21 14:50:19 PDT 2015

On 8/20/2015 11:40 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> I think, or rather know, that this will break serialization, i.e. my library
> Orange [1]. I really like that one doesn't need to register a class to be able
> to (de)serialize it.
>
> I can't believe this change is purposed that will clearly break valid code.

A large purpose of starting this thread is to find out in advance what sort of
breakage would be likely, and explore ways to mitigate that breakage.

> But at the same time there are other breaking changes you refuse to do that would
> fix design flaws in the language.

As with everything, it's cost/benefit. Changing isnan to isNaN is an example of
all cost and no benefit.

I've explained the benefits of changing factory() a couple times in this thread.
I believe the benefits are significant, including the benefit of making D viable
for use in embedded systems.

> I still remember your rant about your old D1 project that didn't compile with
> the latest D2 compiler.

Many of the breaking changes were gratuitous (all cost and no benefit), and some
required rewrites so extensive I (along with invaluable help from Dmitry)
created undeaD to deal with it:

https://github.com/DigitalMars/undeaD