dmd codegen improvements

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 23 04:43:38 PDT 2015

On 08/18/2015 10:28 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/18/2015 12:38 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>> And honestly, there is no way DMD can catch up.
>
> I find your lack of faith disturbing.

I don't doubt we can catch up, and it might be worth for the very low
hanging fruit. But our real problem isn't the backend but the amount of
bugs and small ecosystem when compared with other languages like go,
scala, swift, or even rust.

This is a simple matter of priorities.
Whether or not D succeeds won't depend on SETcc vs. SBB, but it does
depend on us delivering the most useful ecosystem.
It's so much more important to move forward with
https://trello.com/c/YoAFvV5n/6-313-314 or
https://trello.com/c/1dQh4gxm/35-drop-property, or improve backtraces
https://trello.com/c/FbuWfpVE/54-backtraces-with-line-numbers, no matter
how much these codegen inefficiencies tickle your ambition.

-Martin