dmd codegen improvements

ixid via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 24 01:59:55 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 18 August 2015 at 10:45:49 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Martin ran some benchmarks recently that showed that ddmd
> compiled with dmd was about 30% slower than when compiled with
> gdc/ldc. This seems to be fairly typical.
>
> I'm interested in ways to reduce that gap.

One of D's potential massive wins is speed and I think that has
the most easily conveyed impacted on the audience. If we had the
best benchmark site for a very large range of languages it would
not only draw people here but drive the improvement of D on all
compilers (and perhaps allow us to make LDC/GCD for run speed,
DMD for compile speed more explicit) as every time there is a
benchmark contest we seem to find some small thing that needs a
fix and then D blows others away. This would also convey more
idiomatic D for performance as D seems to suffer from people
writing it as whatever language they come from. People love
competitions, the current benchmark site that seems to weirdly
dislike D is one of people's go to references. I do not have the
ability to do this but it would seem like an excellent project
for someone outside the major development group, a Summer of
Code-esque thing.