[OT] Sharp Regrets: Top 10 Worst C# Features

renoX via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 24 06:13:50 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 20 August 2015 at 16:22:22 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> I really don't mind NaN.

Well  with silent NaN you have 'x == x' is false which means all
the generic algorithms (silently) fail.

> It really doesn't cause problems normally. The problem with
> floating point values is floating  > point values themselves.
> They're so painfully inexact. Even without NaN, you can't use
> == with them and expect it to work. Compared to that, how NaN
> is dealt with is a total non-issue. Floating points themselves
> just plain suck. They're sometimes necessary, but they suck.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I think that at Sun some pushed for interval arithmetic support,
but
1) Oracle has bought Sun 2) range has its own set of problem and
they are more expensive to compute.

I'm still a bit sad that modern CPU seems to spend their
humongous amount of transistors on dubious feature yet they don't
try to support important basic things such as 'trap on overflow'
integer computations, interval arithmetic.