dmd codegen improvements

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 27 07:11:59 PDT 2015

On 18/08/2015 21:28, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/18/2015 12:38 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>> And honestly, there is no way DMD can catch up.
>
> I find your lack of faith disturbing.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzs-OvfG8tE&feature=player_detailpage#t=91

My instinct also tells me it's extremely unlikely that DMD will be able
to catch. But regardless of that, let's suppose it does catch up, that
you (and/or others) are eventually able to make the DMD backend as good
as LLVM/GCC. At what cost (development time wise) will that come? How
much big chunks of development effort will be spent on that task, that
could be spent on improving other areas of D, just so that DMD could be
about as good (not better, just *as good*), as LDC/GDC?...

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros