dmd codegen improvements

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 27 11:45:37 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 17:59:48 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> that's a big win. Every little bit of performance improvement
> that we can get out of dmd is an improvement, especially when
> those improvements come at minimal cost, and I see no reason to
> not improve dmd's performance where it's not going to be a huge
> timesink to do so and where the appropriate precautions are
> taken to avoid regressions.

Actually, if you think about PR, it does not matter. I might even
be better to perform 50% worse and call it a development-mode
than to perform 25% worse in release mode...

How about putting effort into making it easier to hook multiple
backends into the same binary instead? People won't complain if
they can toss in "-O" and get LLVM backend output from the same
compiler.