DMD git HEAD now self-hosting

Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 27 18:17:55 PDT 2015

"H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d"  wrote in message
news:mailman.579.1440708229.13986.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

> I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this on the forum yet, but as of 23
> Aug, dmd git HEAD has switched over to ddmd with the landmark commit
> 88ec9d8.  Since that time, the remaining C++ files have been slowly but
> surely phased out one by one, replaced with their D equivalents.
>
> This is awesome news!!!! I think a celebration is in order. ;-)

We've been celebrating without you on the announce list!

> As of today, there are still about 28 or so C++ files left (84 source
> files are now in D). PRs converting C++ sources to D continue to trickle
> in.
>
> Way to go, D!

Unfortunately it's going to slow down for a little while.  The files I've
done post-switch were only left in C++ because they used a small part of the
backend headers and were easier to do by hand instead of converting
automatically.  The rest of the glue layer/backend (~90 c++ files) is going
to need a conversion project of the same scale as the frontend one, preceded
by a refactoring project 10 times the size of the frontend one.

Walter's recent backend cleanup PRs are working on this, and I'm working on
a backend test suite to make refactoring safer.

We could see DMD be 100% D within six months, depending on how much free
time I have and how picky Walter is about my refactoring PRs.