dmd codegen improvements

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 28 08:01:30 PDT 2015

On Friday, 28 August 2015 at 11:53:20 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> On 28-Aug-2015 14:18, Temtaime wrote:
>> So comparing to llvm the idea of optimizing backend comes with:
>>
>> 1) LLVM optimizes code much better than DMD for now. And it's
>> in active
>> development, so it always will be far from DMD.
>
> In producing better code very it well may be. Faster - I don't
> think so.
>
>> 2) LLVM has over 120k commits, it has many financial
>> investments from
>> Google and Apple. Are you sure that ONE Walter can achieve
>> what they done ?
>> 3) LLVM supports many platforms while DMD will never support
>> anything
>> different from x86.
>
> We do not need to do the new LLVM thing. Then the rest of
> argument is destroyed.

You ignored probably the most important point in that post.
Getting DMD to work on ARM would be a huge undertaking, probably
so large that I don't think it will ever happen. This is a huge
bummer because this essentially means getting D on phones or
cheap computers is a pipe dream.

LDC's ARM branch shows that it can be done with LLVM as a back
end. It doesn't support 64 bit and I believe that exception
handling still doesn't work, but if there was more man power
dedicated to it, it would be possible.