dmd codegen improvements

Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 28 09:49:48 PDT 2015

On 28-Aug-2015 18:01, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> On Friday, 28 August 2015 at 11:53:20 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>> On 28-Aug-2015 14:18, Temtaime wrote:
>>> So comparing to llvm the idea of optimizing backend comes with:
>>>
>>> 1) LLVM optimizes code much better than DMD for now. And it's in active
>>> development, so it always will be far from DMD.
>>
>> In producing better code very it well may be. Faster - I don't think so.
>>
>>> 2) LLVM has over 120k commits, it has many financial investments from
>>> Google and Apple. Are you sure that ONE Walter can achieve what they
>>> done ?
>>> 3) LLVM supports many platforms while DMD will never support anything
>>> different from x86.
>>
>> We do not need to do the new LLVM thing. Then the rest of argument is
>> destroyed.
>
> You ignored probably the most important point in that post. Getting DMD
> to work on ARM would be a huge undertaking, probably so large that I
> don't think it will ever happen. This is a huge bummer because this
> essentially means getting D on phones or cheap computers is a pipe dream.

Have you ever written a backend? What is the evidance?

Consider that x86 x64 bit support was done in about one year and a half
by Walter single-handedly that is without freezing the other activity on
DMD, of course. Aside from emitting different sequences of instructions
most IR-based optimizations stay the same.

--
Dmitry Olshansky