dmd codegen improvements

Temtaime via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 29 06:05:23 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 29 August 2015 at 12:59:59 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Saturday, 29 August 2015 at 12:38:45 UTC, Temtaime wrote:
>> Okay, you've done a C++ compiler. Nobody uses that compiler in
>> real projects.
>
> For about a decade, dmc was outcompeting the efforts of big
> companies in features, compile speed, code optimization, AND
> stability.
>
> Sure, it has fallen behind now, but only because Walter sat
> down for 15 years so they could catch up.... (time he used to
> get streets ahead by creating this thing called 'Mars', which
> again the big guys are trying to catch up to).
>

> I'm happy with the codegen the way it is, it is good enough for
> me, but let's not make mountains out of hills.

I'm writing a 3D engine in D.
There's many, many of math. In my benchmarks when it's compiled
with DMD there's ~100 fps and with LDC fps raises to ~500. LDC
vectorizes all operations with matrix, inlines, etc.

If it's good to you, it's not so for others.
Quality of codegen is not only performance, but also how many
battery apps drain on portables.