dmd codegen improvements

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 29 13:36:32 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 29 August 2015 at 20:13:57 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad
wrote:
> On Saturday, 29 August 2015 at 19:37:33 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
> wrote:
>> it takes some time for them to be kept up to date.  And if
>> that matters, then a little help for those teams might go a
>> long way as they have a tough job to accomplish with limited
>> resources.
>
> If it is a toy language with a hobby development process then
> it does not warrant more
> resources.

> Walter is entitled to do what is fun and rewarding to him,
> obviously. If working on his propriatory backend is important
> to him, then he should do so. Nobody has a right to question
> that.
>
> But the net effect of maintaining 3 different backends is
> sending signals that the project lacks direction and priorities.
>
> Why would anyone commit resources to a project that lacks
> direction?

We are all entitled to our opinion.  It's my experience that
people tend to listen more to those who show themselves to be
generally friendly and encouraging than those in whose eyes one
doesn't seem to be able to do anything right.  D doesn't strike
me as a language, project or community lacking in direction,
particularly given recent developments.  I suspect resources of
all sorts will come in time.

Toy languages aren't used by the sorts of people that have built
their businesses around D.  I don't think you do yourself any
favours by adopting the tone you do.  It's disrespectful and
unconstructive.

In any case, I don't wish to divert attention from what's
important, so I won't say anything more on this topic.